The first Vicariate in Arabia was established in 1888 as the Apostolic Vicariate of Aden and entrusted to the Capuchin Franciscans of Lyons, France. A year later the name of the Vicariate was changed to the Apostolic Vicariate of Arabia and covered the whole Arabian Peninsula: Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, Oman, Qatar, United Arab Emirates and Yemen.
For almost a hundred years the Apostolic Vicar of Arabia lived in Aden, Yemen. On 1st January 1974, St. Joseph's Church in Abu Dhabi became the See of the bishop. In 1916, the Vicariate was entrusted to the Capuchins of the Tuscan Province in Florence, Italy. They provided the majority of the priests as long as they had vocations. However, after the discovery of oil, the number of Catholics grew so fast that many priests from other Capuchin provinces, especially in Asia and the Middle East, were asked to send missionaries.
On 31st May 2011, with a decree by the Congregation of the Evangelisation of Peoples, the Apostolic Vicariate of Arabia was divided into two: the Vicariates of Northern Arabia (Bahrain, Qatar, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, with residence of the Bishop in Awali, Bahrain) and Southern Arabia (United Arab Emirates, Oman and Yemen with the residence of the Bishop in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates). At the same time, with the Ius Commissionis, the responsibility to find mission personnel for Northern and Southern Vicariates was given to the General Superior of the Capuchin Franciscan Order worldwide. About 100 priests (of various religious institutes and dioceses) and 80 sisters, assisted by hundreds of trained volunteer catechists, serve the more than two million Catholics in the Arabian Peninsula.
The Vicariate of Southern Arabia is grateful to the authorities of the UAE, Oman and Yemen for their generosity and good will in allowing the faithful of the Catholic Church to freely practise their faith. As members of the Catholic Church who hold fast to the teachings of Jesus Chirst, we aim to be a peaceful people who contribute to the growth of the nations in which we exist.
More details follow the link
ABU DHABI - St. Joseph's Church
P.O. Box 54, Abu Dhabi.
Tel: 02 446 1929, Fax: 02 446 1868
Location: Al Mushrif, on 17th Street, between Old Airport Road and Karamah Street (near Al
Khubairat British School)
AL AIN - St. Mary’s Church
P.O. Box 15645, Al Ain.
Tel: 03 721 4417, Fax: 03 721 7929
Location: Near Etisalat, opposite Oasis Hospital
DUBAI - St. Mary’s Church
P.O. Box 51200, Dubai.
Tel: 04 337 0087 / 335 8504, Fax: 04 334 7594
Location: Oudh Metha Road, close to Oudh Metha Metro Station
JEBEL ALI - St. Francis of Assisi Church
P.O. Box 72715, Jebel Ali.
Tel: 04 884 5251, Fax: 04 884 5216
Location: Jebel Ali Village, behind the Jebel Ali Hospital/ Al Muntazah complex in the churches' area
FUJAIRAH - Our Lady of Perpetual Help Church
P.O. Box 1168, Fujairah.
Tel: 09 223 1377, Fax: 09 222 3238
Location: Close to the Water Tower, Carrefour
Musaffah - St.Paul's Church
6th Street, Behind KM Trading, Musaffah
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Tel :02 446 1114, Fax :
RAS AL KHAIMAH - St. Anthony of Padua Church
Box 10946, Ras Al Khaimah.
Tel: 07 222 2377, Fax 07 222 9618
Location: Take Exit 119 of E311 towards Al Jazeera Al Hamra. The church is situated near the tall chimney of the glass factory.
SHARJAH - St. Michael’s Church
P.O. Box 1745, Sharjah.
Tel: 06 5662424 / 06 5662049, Fax: 06 5663324
Location: Al Yarmook Area, close to Al Estiqlal Square, the Ministry of Labour